After reading about the benefits of a gluten-free diet in my last post, you may be in need of a healthy gluten-free lunch. Why not try these delicious collard green wraps! Wraps without a tortilla you say? You bet!
Collard greens are a great alternative to whole wheat or corn tortilla wraps. I tend to avoid those corn tortillas since they so easily break apart. Collard greens on the other hand are large enough to fit a decent amount of filler, tend not to break apart and are very nutritious.
A part of the cruciferous vegetable family, collard greens have numerous health benefits. Here are just a few:
- Detox support - Your liver is the biggest organ responsible for detoxification and the nutrients in collard greens, for example I-3-C, support this organ's function. We want to avoid a build up of those nasty toxins of course.
- Antioxidant support - An excellent source of vitamin C, A and E (to name a few), collard greens lowers the risk of oxidative stress to our cells, which can lead to such conditions as diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
- Anti-inflammatory benefits - Collard greens are also high in vitamin K and a good source of omega 3s, both of which are anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is the basis of most conditions, including arthritis, allergies, digestion concerns and cancer.
Collard Wraps Recipe:
- large collard greens (without too many holes!)
- sliced grilled chicken
- raw greens salad
- thinned chopped collard greens, kale or swiss chard
- grated carrots and/or beets
- toasted sunflower seeds
- crushed garlic to taste
- freshly squeezed lemon
- olive oil
- sea salt
Cut the stems off the bottom of each collard green. Blanch collard greens by dunking each one in boiling water for approximately 60 seconds (this makes them more pliable for wrapping). Remove with tongs and let cool. Place a green onto a large plate or cutting board and fill her up (at the bottom or stem end)! Fold the sides in slightly then roll up tightly. Store in the fridge or cut and enjoy right away! (recipe adapted from nourishingmeals.com)
Feel free to change up the filler to your liking but I promise these won't disappoint.
In health & happiness,