Craving a little chocolate on these hot days but everything just melts in your hand? Well I can't tell you these won't melt eventually in your hand but I can tell you they are a delicious health-ish snack or dessert for summer time! They taste like a delicious bite of candy bar that isn't too sweat yet satisfies your craving.
I have made these from the Oh She Glows Cookbook #2 a few times now for get togethers and they have always been a big hit. Bonus is that they are gluten free, dairy free, AND nut free! Bonus #2 is that they are super simple to make. I tend to omit to seeds on the top, mainly because I always forgot. :)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1.5 cups crispy rice cereal (Mine is Nature's Path)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- just over 2 tbsp brown rice syrup (can find at superstore or sobeys)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted (optional)
- 3/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Oil a 10x6 in loaf pan and line it with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit the length of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the crust ingredients until the cereal is full coated. Spoon the mixture in to the prepared loaf pan and spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon. With lightly wet hands, since it is fairly sticky, press the mixture down firmly and evenly into the pan. It may seen loose still but that is ok. Place in the freezer.
- Rinse and dry the bowl and then combine all the filling ingredients and stir until combined and smooth.
- Removed the pan from the freezer and spoon the filling on top of the crust. Spread it out evenly with a spatula. Return the pan to a flat surface in the freezer and wait about 1 hour, or until firm.
- Once firm, in a small pot melt the chocolate and coconut oil over low-medium heat, stirring frequently, until smooth. Turn off the heat. Spread the chocolate quickly on top of the filling, fairly quickly to it doesn't harden up before you finish spreading it. Sprinkle the toasted sunflower seeds on now if using. Return the pan to the freezer for another 30 minutes or so.
- When ready to eat, run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen. Life out the slab using the sides of the parchment paper to pull it out. Run very hot water over a sharp knife for a minute then slice the bar into small squares and serve immediately. The hot knife will ensure you cut smoothly through the hard chocolate. Enjoy! Remember to put any leftovers in the fridge soon or they start to melt.
Do you have any healthy summer treats you like to make?
In health & happiness,