I never seem to have the time or the craving for hot porridge in the summer. Enter…overnight oats. This is a great option for those days you are on the go quickly in the morning but still want to make sure you get a nutritious breaky to start your day. The great thing about overnight oats is that you can mix it up to your liking, adding any summer berries, nuts, seeds and other flavours you like. Like my oatmeal I always make sure to add some sort of protein and fat to ensure my blood sugar is balanced and it keeps me full for a few hours. We want to avoid sugary cereals with milk for that purpose. There are many recipes for overnight oats on the web, this is just how I like to do it :)
- 3/4 cup almond milk, other other nut milk
- 1/4 cup regular rolled oats (not steel cut or quick oats)
- 1-2 tbsp buckwheat groats (optional - I find mine at Bulk barn)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or sprinkle to your liking)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2-1 scoop Sproos Collagen powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts (or other nuts or seeds you prefer)
Optional toppings - blueberries, strawberries, shredded apple, apricots, shredded coconut, cardamom, hemp hearts, ground flax seed, goji berries - you name it!
- Add almond milk, oats, buckwheat groats, chia seeds, maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon in a jar. Close the lid and shake, shake, shake. Place jar in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning grab your jar and add any toppings you wish. I make sure to mix in collagen powder and lately I have been adding walnuts, hemp hearts and any berries or fruit I have.
That's it. Easy as 1, 2...nope that's really it. :)
In health & happiness,