Hangry anyone? I definitely was before writing this which prompted me to share one of my favourite go-to snacks. When life is a little busier around here it is important for me to have healthy snacks on hand to keep my blood sugar up and my sugar intake down. These peanut butter energy bites fits the bill perfectly. What is great about these is they have protein, fat and fibre in them to balance blood sugar and you can still tweak them to your liking. Are you doing my seed cycling protocol to balance your hormones? Swap the flax seed around with other seeds for the 2nd phase of your cycle. Are you sensitivity to peanut butter or are on a candida cleanse? Swap the peanut butter for almond butter. Since I have to be dairy free I use Enjoy-Life dairy-free mini chocolate chips, which work perfectly. Finally, if you are limiting carbs or grains replace the oats with other ground nuts (process into a flour) or check out my chai-spiced energy bites instead.
- 1.25 cups oats (ground into a flour)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or ground almonds into a meal)
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2-3 tbsp organic all natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Process oats and/or almonds into flours separately and set aside.
- Add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and 2 tbsp peanut butter to a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add oat flour and almond flour and mix. Then add coconut, flax seed and salt and mix. If mixture is too dry add a little more peanut butter. The consistency should be slightly dry but wet enough to form into balls and hold its shape. Finally, mix in chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into balls, approximately 1 tbsp each (or small golf ball) and set on a parchment lined plate. Place the plate in the freezer for about 10 minutes and voila!
- Store the energy bites in the freezer and take out for an quick snack or breakfast on the go.
Do you have a favourite energy bite recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
In health & happiness,